Wednesday 20 February 2013

This is my home (kind of...)

And at the beginning of my final year of Undergraduate studies, I decide to blog about my experiences, and to share some of the going-ons of this small town that is trying so desperately to steal my heart from big-city Johannesburg.

Grahamstown: a quiet University town in the middle of nowhere. I had never been here until the very first day that I was expected to be here. The Eastern Cape? Where was that even? The province even cost me marks in my final Geography exam when I couldn't remember that it existed.

Being here serves as a frequent reminder of why South Africa still can't be classified as a first-world country. As a city girl, this small town life took quite a bit of adjustment on my part. I think I am slowly getting into it though, ever so slowly becoming a part of this historically-rich and unique town.

I am undecided about my future path (aren't we all), so what I am studying will keep my options open. Maybe at the end of yet another year here, I will be a little closer to knowing what I want to do?

Join me as I experience this town for another year. This will be a writing platform, hopefully expanding my writing abilities, and it will serve as a note to you, the reader, on some of the goings-on in this town. Maybe it will grow on you faster than it has grown on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment