Thursday 28 February 2013

NELM - No one Even Likes Museums

We had our second on-site Journalism practical this week, and we found ourselves in yet another historically rich museum that I had never heard of: NELM - the National English Literary Museum. So, like, I'm not really a huge fan of museums, right...? Other people are though, and that's okay too.

People from all over the world have visited NELM. Imagine 
we had something like the Internet?

But, when you don't have a choice when doing something, you just have to make the most of it. I think the most significant thing about that day was the blistering heat, and the best part of the museum was that they had air-con (in one of the rooms only...). The exhibition in the foyer was nicely done though, and I appreciated the fact that all the printing was done on recycled materials, and that, in trying to preserve the environment (/landscape) that they were promoting in the exhibition (literary landscapes), they avoided some unnecessary irony.

Environmentally friendly displays of the African landscapes

As far as content goes, I thought that it was rather interesting that they had the actual works of famous writers, great writers, and most of all, South African writers. I think what put me off was the fact that I would never use this institution: if I need to get a hold of a piece of writing, I will get it off the Internet. I am glad, however, that the original artefacts are somewhere tangible though - everything needs a home, and it's not as though you could just throw away the original manuscripts of Herman Charles Bosman!

Some of the writers whose works are kept at NELM

Considering the historical relevance and significance that many of their artefacts have, I was not impressed with their filing system. It's not that big of a deal for now though, as they will be moving to a more "state-of-the-art" facilities, where there will be appropriate preservation methods put into place. It kind of reminds me of the Vatican Archives (and scenes from Angels and Demons).

The most interesting thing I learnt about this place was that it existed. And that some guys discovered diamonds and scratched on the windows, with the scratches still being visible today. I also learnt about how significant Guy Butler was to Rhodes and Grahamstown. I think I need to learn more about this character who seems to have started every little thing at this University...

Photographing the diamond-scratched windows for the assignment

No comments:

Post a Comment